Get inside today's most popular operating systems
How do today's operating systems work? The award-winning team of Abraham Silberschatz, Peter Galvin, and Greg Gagne gets you right up to speed on all the key concepts of computer operating systems. Employing the familiar Java programming language, this new edition of their popular guide gives you a thorough theoretical foundation that you can apply to a wide variety of systems as you progress to the next level of your computer work.
Operating System Concepts with Java, Seventh Edition, has been updated to cover the most current topics and applications and designed to help you bridge the gap between concepts and implementations. Integrating the client-server model throughout, the text takes you step-by-step through all the major aspects of programming, including:
* Several new Java example programs including features in Java 5.
* Increased coverage of user perspective in Chapter 1.
* Increased coverage of OS design throughout.
* A new chapter on real-time and embedded systems (Chapter 19).
* A new chapter on multimedia (Chapter 20).
* Additional coverage of security and protection.
* Additional coverage of distributed programming.
* New exercises, programming assignments, and projects at the end of each chapter.
* New student-focused pedagogy and a new two-color design to enhance the learning process.
* Linux, Windows XP, Mac OS X, and other influential operating systems.
Whether you're already adept at Java or new to it, you'll appreciate the Java Primer that's thoughtfully included. The two-color design makes it easier for you to navigate through the chapters, and a plethora of examples, programming exercises, and supplementary online tests and exercises (available through WileyPLUS) help you absorb and reinforce what you've learned. With such complete support, you'll soon be ready to enter the world of operating systems design with confidence.
Receive great offers and updates